Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Fourth

The Fourth of July was fun. The little City of Greybull has the Big Horn river running through
the east side of it and next to the Bighorn is a big cliff. So for the fourth they had an amazing firework show shot off from the top of the cliff. It doesn't get dark until 9:30ish, of course Cody got called into work right then. Rowdy and I went with Pops and D and some friends from their work to a little hill across from the cliffs. It was a great spot because the sound wasn't overwhelming and it wasn't too crowded.
Rowdy loved the fireworks he kept swiping his hand through the air trying to grab the light.
I kept humming the national anthem.. "the bombs bursting in air, gave proof to the night that our flag was still there." I got goose bumps, and I kept thinking of a phrase usually associated with the Mormon pioneers, "Lest we forget." Cody has been reading some of his book to me about the original struggle for freedom. and anyway it was a good time to remember and reflect on all we've been blessed with, and all those origianl patriots sacrificed to make America possible. They were truly inspired and I know they relied on God for their inspiration and bravery. I don't want to forget that. and it makes me sad to see some of America forgetting and taking for granted all that we have been blessed with, and the source of those blessings. But as I was watching the fireworks, humming and holding Rowdy I promised myself I will do my part to remember and teach my children to remember. Hopefully I wasn't the only one.

No comments: